Friday, April 27, 2007

St. Charles Avenue pathways

With the street cars not yet running on St. Charles Street (since Hurricane Katrina) you would expect the grass to be growing over. I saw this and wondered why. A few minutes later it hit me -- or almost hit me. I jumped out of the way to avoid being run over by a jogger. The joggers, walkers, strollers, et al, have taken to the median (in New Orleans parlance it is the 'neutral ground') -- not fearing being run over by the metal monsters.

Note the pole in the center of the neutral ground -- the side arms should stick out like a big 'T' -- over the rails -- and have wires running toward the camera. The work on replacing the wiring is proceeding well, but all takes time. Street cars are running on Canal Street and a few blocks off it it.

--steve buser

3 comments:

TOG said...

Your New Orleans is very hard to view, it gives me tears. My father, my brother and I all graduated from Loyola of the South Dental School. Our life style was built in N.O.L.A. I never yelled throw, but I did say trow. I never heard that 'h'. My dad caught beads made out of wood and my brother and I caught the first doubloons. I knew the families that started 12th Night and Rex. Now my New Orleans is so distant. Keep up the good work and refresh my aging mind.
You missed one word that we called some of the locals, a name that I used only for a male friend but never for a female friend.

Janet said...

Glad things are shaping up!

Mandy said...

joggers usurping the trams!

love it!