Tuesday, January 1, 2008

"Firm Deadline"--Theme Day


On the first of each month, 117 City Daily Photo sites do a new "theme day." Today's theme for January 1, 2008 is "Best Photo of the Year." I had to dig through my old photos to find the one I rated highest. This picture is what I chose.

The photo was from May 7th, just a couple weeks after I started this blog. Here's the link to the orginal post The scene is a sundown shot from the lakefront in Mandeville. I don't think it needs any explaining.

Other Theme Day participants are:

Paris, France - London, England - Hyde, UK - West Sacramento (CA), USA - Grenoble, France - Stockholm, Sweden - Riga, Latvia - Saint Paul (MN), USA - Manila, Philippines - Silver Spring (MD), USA - Weston (FL), USA - Prague, Czech Republic - New Orleans (LA), USA - Wichita (KS), USA - Cleveland (OH), USA - San Francisco (CA), USA - Hobart (Tasmania), Australia - Greenville (SC), USA - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - Menton, France - Monte Carlo, Monaco - Mainz, Germany - Melbourne, Australia - Portland (OR), USA - Albuquerque (NM), USA - Wassenaar (ZH), Netherlands - Kyoto, Japan - Tokyo, Japan - Toulouse, France - Naples (FL), USA - Jakarta, Indonesia - Brussels, Belgium - Stayton (OR), USA - Selma (AL), USA - Mexico City, Mexico - Ocean Township (NJ), USA - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Port Angeles (WA), USA - Toruń, Poland - Fort Lauderdale (FL), USA - Budapest, Hungary - Baziège, France - Nashville (TN), USA - Saint Louis (MO), USA - Cottage Grove (MN), USA - Chicago (IL), USA - Prescott (AZ), USA - Bellefonte (PA), USA - Nottingham, UK - Moscow, Russia - Philadelphia (PA), USAEvry, France - Trujillo, Peru - Arlington (VA), USA - Denpasar, Indonesia - American Fork (UT), USA - Seattle (WA), USA - Chandler (AZ), USA - Coral Gables (FL), USA - Montpellier, France - Joplin (MO), USA - Pilisvörösvár, Hungary - Crystal Lake (IL), USA - Bucaramanga (Santander), Colombia - Boston (MA), USA - Torun, Poland - New York City (NY), USA - Dunedin (FL), USA - Quincy (MA), USA - Stavanger, Norway - Chateaubriant, France - Maple Ridge (BC), Canada - Jackson (MS), USA - Wailea (HI), USA - Port Elizabeth, South Africa - Budapest, Hungary - Austin (TX), USA - Montréal (QC), Canada - Cypress (TX), USA - Bicheno, Australia - Wrocław, Poland - Brookville (OH), USA - Minneapolis (MN), USA - Nelson, New Zealand - Cheltenham, UK - Wellington, New Zealand - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea - Mumbai (Maharashtra), India - London, UK - Haninge, Sweden - Saint-Petersburg, Russian Federation - Arradon, France - Jefferson City (MO), USA - Orlando (FL), USA - Mumbai, India - Terrell (TX), USA - Bogor, Indonesia - Delta (CO), USA - Radonvilliers, France - Saigon, Vietnam - San Diego (CA), USA - Adelaide (SA), Australia - Belgrade, Serbia - Auckland, New Zealand - Seguin (TX), USA - Inverness (IL), USA - Oslo, Norway - Singapore, Singapore - Las Vegas (NV), USANew York City (NY), USA - Anderson (SC), USA - Torino, Italy - Susanville (CA), USA - San Diego (CA), USA - Sharon (CT), USA - Melbourne, Australia - Port Vila, Vanuatu - Memphis (Tennessee), USA


Lagniappe (a little something extra)

The legs tell the story. What is the story you ask? Well, you have to check it out today on Pixel Eyed.

43 comments:

Clueless in Boston said...

Great choice. It has a timeless quality to it. Happy New Year!

kuanyin333 said...

Beautiful photo! Happy New Year from Wailea, Maui!

lv2scpbk said...

A beautiful shot. What else could you ask for than a back drop like that? This could be anyone which makes the photo touch alot more people. Great job.

I couldn't decide and am leaving it up to the votes. I narrowed my down to seven. Yikes! Hate to say I just couldn't pick one. Come take a look and put your vote in.

Southern Heart said...

I love that photo....perfect! I can see why you chose it for this theme day.

Thank you for your comment about the Pat O'Brien's photo...DH and I both had a nice laugh! :) It honestly would fool you. For *at least 10 seconds* while walking on Beale, you feel as if you've been transported to the Vieux Carre. My son is at Pat's tonight...don't ask... ;)

Happy New Year!!

Andrea

Felicia said...

Steve, I think you had many great photos to choose from in 2007 and this one has a great feeling to it. Best wishes for 2008!

Jilly said...

I wondered which you'd choose - love your photographs. This is a super one. Happy New Year to you!

Kunal Bhatia said...

love the shot. thought i went to your may 7th post to read the description,
i'd add it here too.
have a great year,
kunal
Mindless Mumbai

Anonymous said...

You are a very special person to me and I am thankful that I was able to find you in this endless sea of blogs.

This is a very nice photograph selection for the new year.

Thanks for all of your visits to my blog in 2007 and I hope and pray you have excellent health and are very happy all the days of your life but especially in this new year 2008.

Happy New Year from Patty and me.

Stefan Jansson said...

A beautiful scene. Happy New Year.

alice said...

Happy New Year from Arradon, Bonne et heureuse année, Steve!

Jules said...

Good choice - I like how the fishing rod disappears into the glare of the sun!!!

Cheers and thanks for all your positive comments on my blog they are most appreciated!!!

sam said...

it is a great shot, makes me wish I was there! happy New year

Annie said...

When I think of the deep south I think of fishing along the coast - or crabbing. This is a wonderful photo that just fills me with longing to experience that sunset.

ft. lauderdale daily photo said...

Great shot and perfect for this theme. Happy 2008 to you!

Jim Klenke said...

Happy New Year, very neat shot.

Olivier said...

les ombres sont superbes, très bon choix. Mes meilleurs voeux en cette année 2008.

Shadows are superb, very good choice. My best wishes in the year 2008.

Kate said...

Happy Theme Day and New Year to you. You selected a wonderfully peaceful photo to begin the new year!

Gerald (SK14) said...

good choice for the theme
happy new year

Mo said...

Excellent choice. Happy New Year.

Eric said...

This so reminds me of la Nouvelle Orléans! Thank you for taking part in the City Daily Photo community.

Bonne année (happy new year)!

Unknown said...

I've never fished, but it looks a good place to do it.

Here's to a happy & phototastic 2008

isa said...

Loved the photo!

Happy New Year, Steve!

Unknown said...

Always great photo !
Happy New Year 2008 and long life to your blog !

Bergson said...

whoua !!!

a great shot

Happy new year

Ham said...

Absolutely perfect - at least this shot didn't get away

Anonymous said...

Speaks of peace and enjoyment of life! May you have those in the new year!

Cheers!

photowannabe said...

That's quite a "bobber" on that fishing pole. Really terrific shot with the silhouettes and sunset. I think its a prize too.
Thanks for your visits to my blog and your very kind remarks. Its most appreciated.
I want to wish you the very best in 2008 and look forward to the pictures you have to share.

Marie said...

It looks as if the little boy had a "crown" (I mean what we call "auréole" in French).


Happy New Year to you and your family, Steve.

• Eliane • said...

Hmmm, a nice and beautiful evening. Just perfect on this cold and rainy first day of the year. A wonderful capture.
Happy New Year from New York City, Steve!! May 2008 be full of satisfaction and happiness.

Chris said...

Great choice, Steve! In addition to the color, composition, etc., the feel of this photo is just wonderful.

Happy New Year!

Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

That is a great photo. Good choice.
Wish you a happy New Year!

Chandlermom said...

Very nice choice - Happy New Year!

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

...And you choosed the best in absolute. I love it so so much. Thank you.

Happy New Year from Torino !!!

Neva said...

This is a great shot and you are right...it says it all!!! Happy New Year and thank you for all your nice visits over this past half year. I hope to enjoy many more over 2008!

pusa said...

i remember this post! have a happy new year

Jenny said...

What a great choice - I love it!

Happy New Year to you and yours and here's to a wonderful 2008 for the Daily City Photo Blog community.

Jenny, Sharon (CT, USA) Daily Photo

Rob said...

Casting into the sunset, Love these fishing pics! Happy new year!

Ann (MobayDP) said...

That's a classic. I had not seen the original post, so thanks for that link.

Happy Theme Day and New Year Steve! :)

Lynette said...

Your photos and their accompanying text never cease to amaze me, Steve. Thanks.

Steve Cuddihy said...

haha! I left a comment about this photo saying it was my favorite photo of the day. A perfect choice!

Happy New Years to you and yours in 2008!

Slinger
Twin Cities Daily Photo

Wanda said...

A perfect choice indeed! Look forward to many more wonderful pictures from your camera in 2008! :)

Halcyon said...

What a stunning sunset!

All the best to you in 2008.

Joy said...

Aaaww, I love parent and child photos! Nice pick!

Sorry I wasn't able to visit your blog sooner. I was in transit the whole of yesterday. I am now back in Norwich after the most fantabulous time at home in Manila. Do swing by my other sites to leave your footprints behind. Read: lovely comments. :)

Happy New Year to you and everyone you hold dear!

I look forward to visiting your blog more often this 2008. And you're welcome to mine, too! For some reason, my link was not included for participating blogs for the 1st of January 2008 theme day.


joy
The Goddess In You
Norwich Daily Photo
Your Love Coach