Monday, January 21, 2008

Mule powered satire

Since you didn't ask -- I thought you might like to get a glimpse at a mule drawn float from the Krewe of Vieux this past weekend in the New Orleans French Quarter. This is one of the smaller of the floats, though all of them pail by the "normal" Mardi Gras floats that ply the streets from here into Mardi Gras night more than 50 parades in all). The mule driven floats are a relic of the past -- back when the floats could fit through French Quarter streets

I was limited in what I could show, because I thought it ought to be at least PG-13. Nonetheless, the frivolity and excitement flowed past us on Conti Street through the bitter cold.


The parades take a break now, until Friday night when they begin again with:
Krewe of Cork - French Quarter, 3 p.m.
Oshun - Uptown, 6 p.m.
Cleopatra - West Bank, 6:30 p.m.
Pygmalion - Uptown, 6:45 p.m.
Excalibur - Metairie, 7 p.m.
Atlas - Metairie, 7:30 p.m.

St. Tammany
Eve - Mandeville, 7 p.m.

--steve buser


By the way I received two more "Make My Day Awards" -- see yesterday's blog below for details.

The awards came from

Karola&Pamp and elsa

6 comments:

Southern Heart said...

All of this fun is making me jealous! Have some extra fun for us, too! :)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Congratulations Steve....I know you make my day...and I am glad several others feel the same :)
Thank you for choosing me too......I just acknowledged it :)

Wanda said...

I always leave your blog with a smile. BTW enjoyed your comment on the "hairdresser" on my post...Ha Ha Ha...You're funny!

Anonymous said...

Which means you'll be busy taking photos on Friday. Has the flooding/reconstruction affected the celebrations?

Kate said...

It's quite chilly here in Mazatlan, too. I hope that it warms up considerably for Carnaval parades. Maz reportedly now has the second largest Carnaval after Rio, edging out NO in recent years. Do you think that's accurate?

photowannabe said...

Looks like a lot of craziness going on. Have fun and look forward to more pictures of the various parades.