Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Wind walking

How do they do it?

They look about as graceful as a tank. But still they stay in the air. Almost seems to me that if they can fly, I should be able to. You alway see them around in places where there are good currents of air -- must help lift them up. The cruise along the Causeway, enjoying the breeze that that cars and trucks create rushing by. Here, this brown pelican heads into the wind and shows a few earth bound wind-lovers how to sail.

-- steve buser

Lagniappe (a little something extra)
A seldom cited law of the universe is that when an ersatz cowboy climbs aboard his steed, he will always pick the wildest stallion in the stable. Let the merry-go-round begin.

Today on Pixel Eyed

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great capture of an instant. Brilliant...
Planet Earth Daily Photo
.

Gwen said...

Beautiful shot of this pelican in flight with the sailboats and sea as the background.

Jilly said...

Wonderful! I just love pelicans. There used to be a tame one that walked around in Cairns. Superb birds and this is a great shot. How do they fly? - indeed.

Daniel Chérouvrier said...

Beautiful bird, great sailor.

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

Great catch! I've seen them in flight just a few times. Very funny (and cute) birds.

Marie said...

Très jolie photo. If the pelikan is not graceful (I think it is!) the photo is. The description made me think of the new European big plane (A380?)

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

don't you wish you could join them in their mid-air flight to get a "bird's eye view" of your city?? :)

photowannabe said...

Pelicans look like a mistake but I love to watch them. Great action shot.

Wayne said...

"A wonderful bird is the Pelican,
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can take in his beak,
Enough food for a week.
I'm damned if I know how the hell he can."

I wish I knew who to attribute this to. I learned if from my Grandfather.

Mike said...

I think the pelican looks fantastic in flight. I love the way it's wings bend downwards. Nicely captured!