Friday, March 28, 2008

Suspended animation

This strange creature is at the Aquarium of the Americas in downtown New Orleans. One of these days, I am going to remember to write down identification stuff. I thought it might be a Man of War, but I can't find anything like it on the internet. His image is a little misshapen -- caused by the curvature of the glass of the tank he is in. And the light might distort his color somewhat. Anyway, he captured my attention as he slow floated around -- the bell at his top keeping him near the surface of the water.

--steve buser

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worked for the aquarium for a spell in grounds and horticulture. I have an anecdote about my experience at my site:
http://huckabucksbuttermilk.blogspot.com/

sam said...

well he may be anonymous but he's still stunning (probably in more ways than 1 if you get too close!!!) I love the backlight on the tentacles.

Anonymous said...

I have some photos of this nature as well, but none of them turned out as nice as yours -- great work!