Friday, May 2, 2008

In the groove?

Okay, the question of the day is, "is it okay to say someone is 'in the groove?'" I mean, there are no grooves in music any more. The days of records and albums and diamond-tipped needles is long gone (unless you are one of them -- the audiophiles.) Would it be more correct to say "he's into bumps on the thin metal substrate between polycarbonate layers?"

Just thinking.

Anyway, thanks to the bass player for the Bob French and the Original Tuxedo Jazz Band for being our subject of the day. The photo is from the recent French Quarter Festival.

-- steve buser

7 comments:

Profile Not Available said...

I think he looks more like he is in the zone! Great photo! Thank you, so much, for coming to visit me today! I love your photos, and I have tried to visit here regularly!

USelaine said...

Hmm. I would argue that groovin' is something done in "live" existence, and not on a vinyl/wax recording. Perhaps like rockin' and a-rollin' it has ancient sexual origins? Dunno. I love the moment you captured on his face in any case.

USelaine said...

Same goes for "up tight and outta sight" if you, you know, think about it too much. I better stop there.

Jilly said...

I laughed at your question! In the groove will do for me. This is a super portrait, Steve. I can 'hear' the music!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

:DDD i love the graphics on his T. and yes i love his expression too :)

Unknown said...

yeah he sure does look like he really getting into the vibes here....But groove? I never heard of that saying he is in the groove of this music.

Bump? That sounds more like a dance...doing the bump. Every done the bump? When I was more limber I used to do the bump to the music. lol

Greyhound Girl said...

How gerat to get lost in music like this