Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Swim up, eat up

A pair of Koi fish swim up to fight for a fish food pellet I tossed into the pond. The pond is at our friends Sam and Theresa's house in Baton Rouge where we were for Memorial Day. The luscious, shady pond with water fall and water lilies is a real repose. Of course the shade presented a problem with capturing a shot of moving fish in darkened waters. I useda polarizing filter to cut the glare on the water, however that further reduced my shutter speed. The key was shooting a lot of shots -- every once in a while the fish were at a stopping spot and my hand shake was at a minimum.

--steve buser

7 comments:

Halcyon said...

It's a beautiful photo. Very nice capture of the coy.

BTW: I spent Memorial Day in NO, then took the train back to Jackson. Quite an adventure. :)

crittoria said...

A great picture - well worth the effort involved...

Chris said...

One of my friends grew up in Metairie (Did I spell that right?), and her daughter is living in their old house now. At any rate, she had a koi pond. . . not sure if it's still there or not. I'll have to ask her.

Wanda said...

Oh what a great photo !! We just visiting some gardens with fish like that...so lovely.

Kim said...

Steve, You've outdone yourself with this colorful shot. Love the composition and seeing the lily pads and Koi in such detail. Kudos!
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo

Diederick Wijmans said...

A great photo with magnificent colours. Excellent composition.

Anonymous said...

Being a country boy and hardly off the farm and country towns, I saw the Emperor's moat around his palace in Tokyo and saw the largest carp I ever saw in my life and they look just like these smaller cousins on your post today.

I also saw old Japanese ladies picking weeds by hand in the lawns around the palace. They do it for the emperor for free == a kind of lifetime devotion to him -- he was a living god for centuries.

Anyway, nice photography, Steve.