Friday, May 30, 2008

Short of shore

The tide has made getting to the dock a little harder. A couple of sea gulls reconnoiter the situation. Perhaps, the shallow water between the pier and the land gives them a good feeding ground. The scene is a couple months back in St. Bernard Parish at Bayou Bienvenue -- just down river from New Orleans.

I had a little digital darkroom fun with this one (again, click on the image to enlarge it to get the full effect) --first I auto white balanced the shot which made it brighter. I then used the auto color enhance in Gimp to give the colors more zip.

Lastly I ran it through the Cartoon2 filter I downloaded into Gimp's Script-Fu/photo effects scripts. The Cartoon2 filter gives you two sliders -- smoothness ( I toned this way down to a 2) and colors (I bumped this way up to 24).

Before I did all that I cropped the original image way down to get it to the focus of the shot. Here's the original image:

-- steve buser

5 comments:

Wanda said...

Steve ~~~ I think you're having just a little bit too much fun here..... Glad you are playing around with these photos... what fun to see what you can do with a little imagination and technology~!!!

Very Good!!

GMG said...

Hi Steve! Just a speedy visit to say hello! I’ve been busy the whole last week and will be out in the next, so this is far less than your blog deserves… ;(( But I promise I’ll come back with more time after June 10th, at least…
Anyhow, loved to see the digital experiences...
Meanwhile, to avoid leaving you empty hands, I published a last post on Marrakesh 2006 at Blogtrotter. ;))
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful photo!!

photowannabe said...

Love what you did with this photo. You really made it pop and I found it much more interesting. Its always fun to see what people do with their posts.

Chris said...

Very cool. Thanks for letting us know what you did.
I need to get that program now that I have the MAC.