Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pileated Woodpecker


Clueless. That's me.

I didn't know what the fuss was all about -- the Pileated Woodpecker.

Then this past weekend I was out at the Mandeville Nature Center.  I was actually heading back in to my car when I caught a glimpse of a bird coming in across the lake like a one of those jumbo fireworks rockets.  Except I could make out it was a bird and had a black and white and red look to it.

He kept his kamikaze speed up as he approached thewoods -- he obviously knew where he was going and had done this many times before.  He took and s-curve route through the trees and pull out of his  dive with one of the multi-G climbs at the end, right up to the middle of a huge dead, limbless tree.  I had just made it back to the trail, about 60 feet from the tree, when he started scouting out food.   He was as large as a crow.  He quickly scaled the tree and then scamper to another.

This was his territory marking tree (I learned later) -- he started hitting it and making quite a racket on this tree-drum -- his way of saying "this is my yard -- stay away."

His beautiful red head is the most attractive thing about him.

I think he and I will meet up again.  Hopefully he'll hang around a little longer.

--steve buser







, , , ,



Powered by ScribeFire.

5 comments:

K. said...

Congratulations! Pileated w.'s are wonderful birds. There used to be one near my house; it was always a treat to spot him. I never got a picture like yours, though.

gogouci said...

Love his hairdo.

Ms M said...

Good photo "catch" on such a fast mover!

Profile Not Available said...

Wow! I have never seen one of these! I have been missing my blogging the past few months, and your birds in particular! I hope you get to see him again soon!

Sunshine said...

Fabulous picture.. and fabulous experience for you!!