Friday, July 18, 2008

Nutty nap

This was the scene out my window yesterday. A squirrel who frequents the place, decided to take a nap. Of course I grabbed my camera and started shooting. I opened the window to get a clear shot. He took notice, but was apparently too lethargic to do much about it, only inching up in his position so he could look around the tree at me.

We spent a few minutes noticing each other, then I decided to see if he needed a treat. I went to the kitchen to cut off a slice of orange and tossed onto the garage roof on the other side of him. Unfortunately it slid off the roof and down on the ground below.

What happened next brought out his real secret identity. But to see who this masked man is you will have to come back tomorrow for ..... the rest of the story.

--steve buser

Lagniappe -- When a feathery fellow can't fish for a living he has to do something -- He put some good old bird brain power into it and decided to panhandle to earn enough for some bird feed. Today on PixelEyed.com

12 comments:

Meg said...

I keep hoping to see more scenes of the New Orleans I know and miss, not so much wildlife and nature. I don't get a feel for NO like I do with the other Daily Photo blogs I subscribe to. Not that your photos aren't beautiful....

Unknown said...

Great photo...and I'll check back for part 2.

everytime I try to photograph critters around my house, they run away! I did manage to get one of a rabbit on the back porch through the glass...and he has red eyes that I can't seem to correct!
I'm sure my camera is not as powerful as yours!

Anonymous said...

i was so curious about this photo when i saw the thumbnail in the portal. it turns out to be a squirrel!

Unknown said...

AH! You're gonna make us wait?? LOL. I'll be back. I bet he went diving for it. What a funny sleeping position!

yoshi said...

I will be there tomorrow to have the end of this story!

Wanda said...

Well, keep us on the edge of our seat, Steve..... I'll be back tomorrow...

That little guy is adorable ~~ Look's like he has the gift of sleep.

Steve Buser said...

Lindsay.
I appreciate your comments but the way I see it, the Daily City Photo blog is self defining -- the author takes whatever tack he/she feels the need for. Of course feed back from visitors is a big consideration on what should be on the blog.

But I see this blog not so much about New Orleans but about me and New Orleans -- about how I interact with the city and what captures my attention and my interest in the city.

I would suggest that what you remember about New Orleans will always be the same in your mind. But this is a growing, changing city. A city with hundreds of facets. And if you haven't been exposed to much of the abundant wild life then you out to open your mind to it.

I made one decision early in this blog and that was to show the beauty and warmth of the city and not all the destruction and misery. That stuff is there, but there are a lot of other voices to chronicle that. There are also lots of other voices to chronicle the tourism traps and revelry. I dabble in that from time to time.

But mostly this blog is going to be about me. Where I was. What capture my fancy. And how living in New Orleans makes me feel.

I hope you'll come back often to find out how that plays out.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Looks like the squirrel was taking cat-napping lessons...

Wanda said...

Hey Steve ~~~ just read your comment on my Parfait Post....love the Texas story....I read it to my husband, and we both got a good laugh.

By the way, I put an orange out in my bird feeder, and guess what...ya, a squirrel said Thanks!!

Wanda said...

Steve your post inspired my
Saturday Post....Gift of Sleep.

photowannabe said...

Great answer to Lindsay, Steve.
I like the way you phrased what the blog means to you. I think that's why I keep coming back. I like seeing N.O. through your eyes.

That nap is truly nutty. I never saw a squirrel quite that relaxed.

Jill said...

Steve, this photo is a hoot! I assumed squirrels found a hole to curl up in. Great shot!