Saturday, June 23, 2007

A family that bugs together...

I drove out to the lakefront in Kenner and found this mom taking her two ducklings out for a bite. (The food is the bugs on the our side of the rock -- they scurry behind the rock when the ducks come close)

The ducklings would follow her along the shore line until she found a good place for bugs. She would then move toward the rocks and stop. The ducklings would waddle in and try to pick off a bug or two before they all scampered to safety. If they stayed too long she would nudge them a long.

She always would keep a sharp eye on them and a would do regular scans of the horizon to make sure nothing dangerous was getting near.

She was pretty unsure of me, and swam out away from the shore with her two youngsters a few times to assess the risk. Eventually she got used to me and would let me get about 20 feet from them without running her safety drill.

--steve buser

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for telling me about this post. We were in West Virginia when you posted this.

It is a nice series of photographs and the narrative goes well with them. I like reading and seeing stories like this one.

It is almost identical to the kinds of things I have published in newspapers. And that just makes yourself better known locally.

Thanks again for coming to my blog.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo
My Photography

Janet said...

A neat duck story.

marie6 said...

Natural maternal instinct!!! The ducklings are really sweet. Wonderful pics.

isa said...

Just ducky!
Although I wonder why only two ducklings...

I also have a mom feeding her two offsprings right here:
http://inheritthe.blogspot.com/

Ming the Merciless said...

Are those bugs roaches?? They look like those Madagascar Cockroach.

Carraol said...

Great set of nature photography!