Friday, August 24, 2007

Purple, Green and Gold fever is sprouting

This is one of a series of hanging baskets in the French Quarter. It's meant to be a livin "Purple, Green and Gold" -- the colors of Mardi Gras. The colors sprout up everywhere in New Orleans because the gentry here live the festival year round. There are two season in New Orleans, Mardi Gras season and waiting-for-Mardi-gras season.

Did I tell you that this is one of the earlies Mardi Gras ever. Don't let me repeat myself. Just check out this post for the story on how the date for Mardi Gras is picked. Mardi Gras is February 5th this year -- hasn't been that early since 1983. Make sure you mark your calendar and get your reservations now, because as you can see from the photo, Mardi Gras fever is sprouting everywhere.

--steve buserCheck out these other city daily photo sites for today (or yesterday, depending where in the world you are.)
Joplin Daily Photo A statue that could fit well in New Orleans.
Stayton, Oregon -- a nifty moon shot.
Norwich Daily Photo -- an awesome Gothic hallway
Boston Daily Photo -- sails in the sunset

And for that Wow! shot
Joensuu Daily Photo -- that last, still, summer day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice and colorful post. I like it a lot.

Abraham Lincoln
Just My Birds Blog

Jules said...

One day I will get to New Orleans for Mardi Gras and wear a funny hat and dance in the streets!!!!

• Eliane • said...

Yes, yes, yes!!! The hanging baskets! that's one of my favorite things of N.O. - all those flowers dripping down the buildings, the luxuriant terrasses, ... It's a bit of an urban jungle.

I am not sure I am in for the crowds of drunk people. But it must be quite an experience.

Neva said...

I love the hanging baskets.They are so pretty.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i hope i will get there ..let's see what future has in store for me!!!

GMG said...

Always dreamed of being in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. Not yet. But like you say, there are the photos, so «the dream lives on»...

I’m taking a holiday in Greece, provided the fires allow me to. Meanwhile I leave you in Bali at Blogtrotter. Enjoy!