Monday, September 17, 2007

Cranes In the Sky


While you don't see a gaggle of "cranes in the sky" around New Orleans during the reconstruction, you do run across a lot of construction sites. Nearly every downtown building has been renovated after the storm to the tune of several million dollars each. It wouldn't be hard to come up with an estimate of more than a billion dollars already spent on downtown buildings.

Of particular note is the downtown hotels, almost all of which have a new sparkling appearance inside -- from the lobby to new furniture. Examples : Hilton Riverside $42 million, Marriott $38 million, Wyndham $9 million.

I've been watching this particular construction project from my office window and just happened to drive by it for this shot. They are adding several stories to the building.

--steve buser

8 comments:

Kate said...

There certainly is lots of activity now, isn't there? Check my website today (9/17/07) to see how your fern photo inspired mine! Have a good week, Steve!

Clueless in Boston said...

It's good that so much money is being pumped back into the city's economy. Hopefully, some will trickle down to the poorer areas.

Great sky in the picture.

Wanda said...

Anytime I see a crane...I feel sad. Many years ago, my nephew was killed in a work related accident with a crane...But your photos are excellent...and life and works continues and must go on!

Anonymous said...

I like your blog, Steve, as it seems to me that it is getting more interesting as time goes on. Maybe it is just that the subject appeals to me more today than yesterday. We do have monumental cranes here for the first time since Indians and Wolves roamed our neighborhood. They can lift and set in place whole side walls of a new warehouse that appears to be made out of cement. I never saw anything that big being lifed up before.

photowannabe said...

Its encouraging to see bits of progress in the city. I hope it trickles down to some of the less fortunate areas too.

Neva said...

wow...I knew there was a lot of rebuilding but this really gives you an idea of how much it is costing.....I like this shot.

Lynette said...

Neat shots, Steve. There's a building being renovated into either apartments or condos or a combination--I don't know for sure, can you tell?--across from where I catch a bus. Two floors have been added to it, too. I wish I'd been taking a sequence of photos--missed that easy chance, I did.

• Eliane • said...

I am glad to read about all those developments.