Saturday, September 22, 2007

Mighty neighborly

I was in this neighborhood of New Orleans on Versailles Street the other day. It reminded me and I hope it reminds you that New Orleans has not standing water, and many neighborhoods are as livable, some more so, that before the hurricane. This area probably had about 3 feet of water or a little less (that's how I read the maps -- though it's hard to read them precisely.)

This was one of the nicer neighborhoods before the storm and this three or four block area on the Lake side of Claiborne (you don't say "north of" or "south of " or words to that effect in New Orleans. It's always "toward the lake" or "toward the river." Because the river and lake bend, those are always north or south directions.

Anyway, the neighborhood was meticulously groomed with beautiful landscaping. There were a few gardeners here or there, but not much sign of ongoing construction. Ward Beaver would have felt comfortable here.

--steve buser

4 comments:

GMG said...

This is the kind of houses I remember from New Orleans outside the French Quarter. Nice post!
Thanks for your visits and comments on Blogtrotter. I'm still in Bali...

Neva said...

A beautiful neighborhood.....I appreciate the directions on North and South...I found it difficult to drive in New ORleans because of the lack of north and south...this makes senses now!

Wanda said...

It's very beautiful..manicured to a T.

Marie said...

Very beautiful houses. I must say I like those better than modern ones.