Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Awesome wonder

You ever get the feeling that a sunset was waiting for you to get your camera ready?

Perhaps I should explain.

I was driving home the other day and I saw this cloud forming in the distance -- it did not look like it had enough energy to produce a thunderstorm and the sun was beginning to plan its exit strategy. That would zap it of any energy it had hoped to gather up into a storm.

So, I am driving along toward this cloud and the sun is going lower and lower. I am wondering if there is a place I can pull over and shoot it before it vanishes into the wrong angle, a lack of sunrays, darkness, or a million other things that can go wrong with a sundown shot.

As I am exiting the Earhart Expressway and looking for a quick pull off. The traffic has me hemmed in. I turned quickly onto a feeder street and pulled into a parking lot to grab my camera. As I am getting it set, suddenly the rays start spraying from behind this monolith. I am sure he was thinking "hurry up, I can only do this for a few seconds." I snapped about dozen rapid fire shots thn the sun blew out its candles with an appreciation that it had finished the day in grandeur.

How does the song go ? "O Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder, consider all the worlds thy mighty hands have made...... then sings my soul."

Indeed.

--steve buser

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's just about as good as it ever gets, Steve, and it is a shot you can be proud of. No doubt about it that this will inspire a lot of people to begin looking for similar situations when they are out looking for clouds and sunsets.

Wanda said...

Steve.... I sat at my computer, and was overwhemed... and just had to sing a couple of stanza's of How Great Thou Art!!

Hoping all is going well with your move. So great you get to be close to your kids.

That was the whole reason we retired when we did.... so be close to our children and grandchildren in this season of our lives.

God Bless.... Wanda

Unknown said...

Truly amazing!!! Stunning!

photowannabe said...

Isn't it magnificient the way our God does things? Such power and majesty. Perfect song to go with the picture.
I read on Wanda's blog that you moved. Its so wonderful to be near the kids. We did that 15 mo. ago and have never regretted it for one moment.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

An impressive shot!

Unknown said...

It has been awhile since I have been at your blog, I lost your blog url address!

And I am so glad to see that you posted over at Wanda's...that is how I got here.

I hope you keep this New Orleans Blog cause I still enjoy going through all of your older posts...The sunset and the sunrise photos are surely beauiful and I am looking forward at seeing some wonderful photos of Texas once you have settle down.

Jilly said...

Steve, I intended commenting on yesterday's stunning sky - now you've really overdone it. Today's is sensational - no other word for it and I loved your writing about it too. Many congratulations.

Greyhound Girl said...

This is just perfect- I don't think you could've had a better shot if you would've tried. Just astounding.

Hope said...

Your post and photo have moved me beyond words. Just stunning!

Jill said...

Isn't it amazing how these gorgeous sunsets appear without fanfare, whether anyone sees them or not.

"And when I think that God, His Son not sparing..."

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for sharing.
Through your blog, a lot of people including me of course have a chance to read and learn from.
I have read some of your post and I really enjoyed reading it.
Thanks again and looking forward for more of your posting soon!