Saturday, October 25, 2008

The lightness of non-being

I know I promised we would get right back to the shopping trip down Magazine Street, but while you were gone, I went down Julia Street. It was amazing -- I haven't been in the Arts District for a while so I wandered into a couple of galleries. I caught this piece by Keysook Geum at the Gallery Bienvenu. "Geum sculpts robes, waistcoats, dresses, and other symboloic garments, creating them out of paper covered iron wire," the show brochure notes. "That web of iron wire relates to the World Wide Web that has increasingly brought Western and Eastern cultures together for Seoul Korea-based Geum."

The show brochure goes on"suspended in by nearly invisible wires, the scultpures seem to defy gravity, floating like thistledown, despite the process-driven arduousness of their execution. ...They imply a human presence but are ghostly and cipher like. "

I know that photographing these works was a real pleasure and challenge. Every angle told a new visual story. Move up and inch and that etheral nothing disappeared. Move a foot this way and the shadow became more real that the art piece. Or was the shadow the art?

--steve buser

12 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so fantastic! Very good capture!

Victor said...

That's an eye-popper. Thanks Steve!

GMG said...

Hi Steve! Amazing piece...
The sundow symphony is magnificent!!
Meanwhile Blogtrotter waits for your comments while saying goodbye to Mykonos 2007!! It shows the famous sunset scene at Little Venice, and the Pelican mascot of the island… ;)
Hope you enjoy, comment and have a great weekend!

Greyhound Girl said...

How great. I vote they are both art but I certainly do love the shadow

Laurie Allee said...

This is a fantastic shot. And I love your play on words with the title of this post!

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting post. I like the idea of this art and think it is a worthy subject. Nice photography too and catching the shadow as you have.

Wanda said...

Oh my goodness... that is amazing!!

Ben Nakagawa said...

Fascinating. I love the shadow you captured with it.

marie6 said...

This is fantastic, both the idea of the art (very original) and the photo itself are great.

Ken Mac said...

perfect detail

Jerez Sherry said...

I love this, beautiful, lovely craftsmanship, nice photo..

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

This is so totally cool......I can understand why Magazine street has taken a backseat for now...:)