Thursday, July 19, 2007

Cloud candy


Suddenly.

We were walking out to the pool and noticed the eerie light. Looking up, there was a large cloud forming overhead at it was catching the last rays of the sunset and redirecting them down in rosy beams.

Dazzling.

It just took over the sky with it's color. Then, we heard the sound of thunder snapping in the cloud. So much for the swimming. But, I was going to miss this shot. So I ran in to get my camera.

Vanishing.

Unforturnately, a sunset like this moves very quickly. By the time I got back outsider ready to shoot. The whole scene had gotten a lot more sutble. I shot a few shots -- the one above turned out best.

Arresting.

Then the lightning display started. I was shooting handheld with nothing to steady myself, so the odds of getting a lighting bolt were very slim. Except that these playful bolts were engaged in bumper pool up there -- bouncing around the sky. They would go on for three or four seconds. By picking an area of the sky that was really active and waiting for the zinging to start, I managed to catch the one below.

Peace.

Didn't get my physical excercise, but it was a fun close to the evening.

--steve buser

16 comments:

Marie said...

That is scary. Beautiful but scary..... I love taking photos of the sky. Not the sky of Montpellier though, at this time of the year. There is nothing to see in it.......

Carol E. said...

Very impressive!

Kate said...

Hey, you got the lightening, and I am duly impressed. It's like trying to catch a flying aircraft!!

Fénix - Bostonscapes said...

How beautiful, Steve. I don't think I've ever seen light reflecting on a cloud like that.

iBlowfish said...

Very impressive indeed!

Felicia said...

I'm very impressed too! Glad you caught the lightening...sometimes you never know what will turn up on your camera...just keep clicking!

travelphilippines said...

i totally agree with marie its a beautiful scary lightning.

Scott Johnson said...

Awe inspiring!

You consistently capture some vibrant images. Such fleeting moments are so difficult to capture, too.

You set a high bar, my friend!

Fabrizio Zanelli said...

It's a rare and so beautiful photo. That's great !!!

Jules said...

Beautiful Steve! It is so hard to catch lightning - you did well!!


I am glad you didn't get any exercise - it is very dangerous to be in the pool in the middle of a storm!!!!

Janet said...

Don't believe I have ever seen a cloud like this! An amazing display of nature. Glad you got it!

Olivier said...

les photos sont superbes, les feux de l'enfer ;o) magnifiques couleurs. bravo pour l'eclair, pas facile à prendre, ma derniere tentative plus de 200 photos pour deux bonnes ;o).
Je te souhaite un bon weekend


the photographs are superb, the hot fires; O) splendid colors. cheer for the flash, not easy to take, my last attempt more than 200 photographs for two good; O). I wish you a good weekend

Anonymous said...

Very nice photos, Steve.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

lv2scpbk said...

Looks mysterious.

Today is my 100th post!

dot said...

Amazing photo! I've not seen that on any other blog.

Nathalie H.D. said...

How incredibly spectacular!