Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Feathery fisticuffs

Apparently there is such a thing as bird manners, because these flighty fighters took great exception to the fact that the feathery fellow on the left didn't share his food. They were squawking and swirling a good ways away from me. It was pretty apparent that a real fracas was going on, so I started to wander over toward there. Suddenly they swooped up, buzzing each other in flight and landed their 100-decibel free-for-all near me.

It wasn't just the two birds in this aerial feud, either. There were about 25 of them in this feather-filled fray.

I smell a good business opportunity, though -- a class on basic manners for birds. Maybe we could call it "Share to Soar."

-- steve buser

13 comments:

Marie said...

Les photos sont magnifiques. I need to look up a few words to fully understand the article :-))

Anonymous said...

Nice photo Steve and the narrative is interesting to read too.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

iBlowfish said...

Interesting post. I like the first picture, when the birds ready to take off.

isa said...

Nice catch!

Olivier said...

la premiere photo, on dirait un veritable ballet, c'est superbe, bravo pour tes photos


the first photograph, one would say a true ballet, it is superb, cheer for your photographs

travelphilippines said...

i love those birds.. u capture it well

Jules said...

Great action shots Steve.

Last time I was near this many birds I ended up with a few white sploches on my shirt!!

lv2scpbk said...

Love the photo with the sand. Wonderful capture.

Annie said...

I've known people who act like that!

Summer colds are awful things. I hope you feel better soon.

lyliane six said...

They are large gulls? Along the Mississippi, I saw pelicans.

hpy said...

I never succeed in shooting those birds with my little camera, so I'm VERY jealous of your pictures!!!
There are lots of people who just hate gulls and other noisy seabirds, but I think they are part of the landscape, or should I say seascape. Maybe waterfrontscape to be precise!
We could open schools for them all over the world, I think!

marie6 said...

Such wonderful shots! I really liked your narration.

Tony Morris said...

Hi Steve, thanks for visiting St Margaret's. Nice pictures of Laughing Gulls, a few get across to us from the USA and one visited a reserve no too far from me three weeks ago.
Tony.