Monday, July 30, 2007

Fleur de light

The Fleur de Lis appears almost everywhere in New Orleans. I was just walking by this window of a church on Prytania Street when I noticed it in the stained glass on the bottom

The architects this weekend rolled out the Rebuilding the Crescent plan -- a plan to open access to the river in 19 places in New Orleans. It will introduce new parks and plaza, exciting new architectural tokens and "statement" hotels and condos overlooking the river. (the Crescent is, off course, the Mississippi River which makes a wide bend around New Orleans, giving it the moniker, the Crescent City.

But at the plaza at the foot of Canal Street, they talked about observing the various heritages with the Spanish medallion, the French medallion and others laid in the brick pavers. Included among these was the "New Orleans medallion" -- a circle with the Fleur de lis.

Guess I need to get a Fleur De Lis on my masthead.

Oh, thank everyone for the kind words and encouragements yesterday on my 100th post. It re-energized me.

--steve buser

14 comments:

Janet said...

Very pretty window. Glad the city is coming back together.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful shot Steve.

Planet Earth Daily Photo
.

Lavenderlady said...

I love this window...I'm thinking quilt design.

Olivier said...

il est tres beau ce vitrail. pourquoi une fleur de lys ? des rois de France sont venus jusqu'a la New Orleans ?


it is very beautiful this stained glass. why a flower of lily? did kings of France come until New Orleans?

R&R said...

Nice shot, congrats on 100 and for posting interesting photos and reportage!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful stained glass window! And I didn't realize about the fleur-de-lis. Interesting.

Neva said...

I like the window...very nice...very pretty.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

I'll look for all the fleur de lis when i make my way to New Orleans :)

and coincidentally i'm showing a real flower of lily on my blog right now ;)

Felicia said...

I appreciate the work put into stained glass - this one looks like a lot of work. You could get a theme going by finding the fleur de lis in various other objects!

travelphilippines said...

nice window looks like the window of our parish church here.

Tara said...

I notice fleur-de-lis in all sorts of places now. I like this stained glass window! That must look fabulous at night, with light shining through it. And Congratulations on reaching Post # 100! Here's to the next 100!!

Jules said...

Love the window - such pretty colours. Has this church been renovated - the brick-work looks like it has been sandblasted recently?.

Marie said...

I find it very pretty too. I like stained glass very much.

Denton said...

Congratulations on your 100th post ... New Orleans surely offers 1000's of photo opportunities for future post.