Friday, July 20, 2007

Folk Laureate

Telling the tales of the city, a Vieux Carre' (French Quarter) guide leads a group tourists through the fascinating history of river bank settlement wrought with irony and intrique. Pirates, crevasses, hurricanes, malaria, deadly duels -- the affairs of God and men come together in this 78-square block center of New Orleans, born in 1718 as a French territory.

Probably no group was hit harder by Hurricane Katrina that these troubadors, who, because of a lack of tourists, had no one to tell their tales to. But during a short walk through quarter the other day, I ran into a couple handfuls of these travelling theatres. Their business seems flourishing. If you really want to understand New Orleans, this is an indispensible buggy ride.

--steve buser

13 comments:

Annie said...

This is the New Orleans so many of us know and have enjoyed firsthand. It's a lovely photo of a lovely part of our world.

Kate said...

It is a great photo of a great section of New Orleans. Such a gorgeous city with so many issues, unmet by the "powers that be." Don't worry, I won't go into politics, but I hope with all my heart that the city can come back to its former glory without all the attendant problems. Thanks for the memory!

Olivier said...

superbe, on s'imagine au debut du siecle dernier. bon weekend


superb, one thinks at the beginning of last century. good weekend

Bergson said...

The camera angle is superb

The colors of the sky are adorable
cheer

IamtheMom said...

Everyday I think of what a great photographer you are, this picture is the best yet!!! You have a true skill!

iBlowfish said...

This part of New Orleans that look familiar with me. That building with its ornaments really beautiful. I like this composition.

Neva said...

I love the French Quarter...such a beautiful building

Jilly said...

So good to see a photograph like this after what happened. Good to know there is still work around in tourism and that this part of New Orleans, the French Quarter - wasn't destroyed.

I wish I'd visited it before but I still really want to visit and one day I will.

Beautiful building and super photography.

isa said...

Thanks for the suggestion - will do next time I'm in your lovely town!

GMG said...

Love this picture! Actually, I love the entire French quarter, as well as the food we can eat there. If you wish to see how it looked twenty five years ago, just have a look here
I’m also impressed with the sails sliding by the city picture.
Superb! Enjoy your weekend!

Jules said...

So great to know that your marvellous city is recovering Steve, and what a great photo to show that.

The whole world watched in horror as the story unfolded on our televisions, in front of our eyes, that week. It is wonderful to know that things are returning as they were. I guess it will never be the same but hopefully the lessons are there for all of us to learn by!!!1

Kate said...

I came by for another look! Is that Brennans by any chance?

Nathalie H.D. said...

Great tourist info!