Saturday, July 14, 2007

Steamy music


This one is for Tara with Baton Rouge Daily Photo. She asked back in June if the Steamboat Natchez still has its calliope. I hear it nearly every day from our parking garage, even though I am up 8 floors and the boat is about a half mile away. I thought that in this day of automation, it was computer controlled. I was walking by the boat recently and some whisps of steam caught my eye. Much to my surprise, there was someone playing the it. It's steam powered! And notice to the right (below), the lights in the bulbs. A different light glows for each note.

Check out this old brochure on the boat -- page 5 has a drawing of the calliope. It's great marketing for the exciting cruise they give down the Mississippi River. Make sure it's on you itinerary for your next trip to the Big Easy.

--steve buser

13 comments:

Janet said...

That's a great tourist draw as well as adding flavor for the residents and businesses.

iBlowfish said...

Beautiful shots, I really like the photos. I haven't seen the streamboat that close before.

Felicia said...

That is neat, what a fun job that would be!

Angela said...

Great shot the first pic! Love it :o)

Tara said...

Thank you for posting this!!! It's great to know that the calliope is still going strong. And I didn't know about the lightbulbs - that must be something in the evenings!

Sally said...

What a great tourist drawcard. Now to find a poker game....

Kekiinani said...

Cool shots and interesting read. Never heard of such a thing but then I have never been to your side of the world!!! New Orleans!!! :) :)I would put it on my list of things to see. Sounds like it would be fun thing!! :)

Annie said...

That sounds like an exciting attraction. But I wonder how loud it would be for a person on the boat if you can hear it a half mile away?

Lothiane said...

Wow! What a truly cool photo of the boat! And it looks even more beautiful with the blue background you've chosen for your blog. :)

Olivier said...

superbe photo, ce bateau c'est toute l'imagerie que nous avons de la nouvelle orleans. Superbe

superb photograph, this boat it is all the imagery which we have of the Orleans news. Superb

Marie said...

Funny, it's still the same lady who plays.

I photographed her two years ago. My photo is online. It is not as beautiful as yours as the weather was bad in NO when I took it :
http://www.marieweblog.com/original/www/index.php?galerie=New_Orleans_14_mars_2005&snimek=11

Marie said...

I'm not sure the link will appear. The gallery is "New Orleans 14 mars 2005"

lyliane six said...

I went to the New Orleans in 1982 and I also took a boat like that.
But you speak French?