Thursday, July 5, 2007

Coast coasting

Since we didn't have any formal plans for the 4th of July, we decided to go driving along the coast of Mississippi -- about an hour's drive away.

It, too, had been devastated by Hurricane Katrina, but I was suprised at how little along the beach had come back. We drove from Bay St. Louis to Biloxi -- maybe 40 miles. There were few of the old stately mansions left. And those that did survive seemed the worse for the wear.

It was drizzling most of the day so the beaches were mostly empty.

The picture above is a pier and a threesome of pavilions for fishermen. It wasn't open yet. I presume it is still under construction. Everything seems to take a long time these days to get built.

But the seagulls were having fun.

We took a short walk on the beach and ran into the vendor below keeping his water skis looking good for the occasional customer that wandered by.

-- steve

8 comments:

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

Very nice photos, especially the first one. I love the light, the colors and the serenity of the scene.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Some very nice photos Steve and the story behind the day was interesting to read as well.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

Kate said...

Your story makes me sad. While the rest of us were celebrating Independence Day, you were viewing the aftermath of a natural disaster (complicated, I might add, by neglect of the envrionment). I could add more but since this is not an outlet for political opinions, I'll restrain myself. Your photos are lovely and I hope you enjoyed the beach walk.

Felicia said...

The pier photo is very clear and crisp. And the sand there is whiter than I thought it would be. Hope is alive for the future of the area!

Bergson said...

The first photograph I remove the band of sand and I puts it at the wall
cheer

Lavenderlady said...

I love the photo with the seagulls...that is very well done.

Kekiinani said...

WOW your top image of the pier and the birds is awesome. :) :) The bottom one is cool since it shows that life continues on even when the weather is not quite perfect. Hope he got a few customers that day!! Aloha, Renee :)

Southern Lady said...

Hi, Steve ...

I saw a couple of comments you made on blogs and I'm so glad they led me to your "New Orleans Daily Photo." Your photos are truly amazing, and I enjoy your unique and humorous "way with words," too.

I'd like to invite you to visit my "Southern Lagniappe" blog. I have two posts that might be of interest to you -- one is about a trip my husband and I made to the Mississippi Coast (our first post-Katrina trip), and, more recently, a story about an enjoyable weekend we spent in New Orleans.

I'm adding you to my "favorites" and look forward to visiting you again soon.

Sincerely,

Janie