Monday, January 14, 2008

Racing in Space City

We were in Houston this past weekend to watch my son, Charlie, run his first marathon. I didn't realize how one of these events takes over your life with all the preparation and training.
Just trying to figure out a route for us fans to see him in several places along the run took us an few hours.

To the right, with a gigantic boom, the racers were off just as the sun started to peak into downtown Houston.

There were 17,000 runners, so the whole was congested -- that became painfully obvious when we tried to catch the light rail to the next vantage point only to find out it wasn't running. We had to scramble for taxis to get there.



At the 10 mile marker (lrft), Charlie sees us and shows us he's got plenty of steam and stamina. He would need it. At that point, he had 16.213 miles left to go. ( a marathon is actually 26.213 -- but it's the first 26.2 miles that are the hardest)

At the top. with less than a mile to go, Charlie's friend, Matthew, runs along beside him to egg him on to the finish line.

We are now back safe in New Orleans and ready to keep posting from here. By the way it was my daughter Vicky's XX birthday -- you know, not over the hill, but you can see the other side. And my son, Shawn, announced this week end he is going back to school this semester to get his teaching certificate.

A lot going on for 48 hours. Hope you had a relaxing weekend.

--steve buser

8 comments:

photowannabe said...

That was a diverse 48 hours for you. Nice pics. of your son and the marathon.

Wanda said...

How exciting was that, Steve?

Before my husbands heart attach and 5 bypasses 12 years ago, he was preparing for a marathon. It never happened.

But he's still ticking, and that's good enough for me. Leave the running to the younger ones.

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog about my comments on your colorful city. I love the pictures you post, and I always feel uplifted and enjoy all of them.

Jose said...

I started a photo blog about a year and a half ago. I post pictures from Arizona, mainly my home town Avondale and Phoenix. It is a lot of fun and I try not to miss a day. I was going through some of your pictures and they are pretty awsome.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

that's an active family with lots going on....here's wishing all of them success in their endeavors........i did have a relaxing weekend, thank you :)

Anonymous said...

First Happy Birthday to Vicky.

Congratulations to Charlie. Anybody who can actually run 26 miles is my hero. One of my daughter's is addicted too.

I hope you can come over and read about Charley.

IamtheMom said...

Congrats Brother!!! I am so proud of you! Thanks for the happy birthday dad, and 30 ain't as bad as I thought it would be. Now, if I was the dad of a 30 year old, then I would be feeling REALLY old right now ;)

Pat said...

Congratulations to Charlie from Guelph! My legs are hurting just reading your text and viewing the fantastic photos!


Pat

Guelph Daily Photo, Pat's Photo-a-Day

Southern Heart said...

Good for Charlie...what a great accomplishment! And a very happy birthday to Vicky, too (tell her she's just getting started! :)