Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Egret squatter (Ardea alba)

You know, if humans don't want this old building, it has a squatter ready to turn it into a very fine bird house. Our main character here was just enjoying a bit of shade, standing on the edge of the bayou that runs in front of this disheveled building. Maybe he was thinking the shade would bring up some tasty treats like crawfish or tadpoles.

The building is on Airline Highway in St. Charles Parish in the New Sarpy area. Our squatting squatter is a Great Egret.

--steve buser

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great picture. I love the background.

Laurie Allee said...

I really love this photo. The composition, the diagonal lines, the light and dark areas and all that texture. It's just wonderful.

Is this a building damaged by Katrina or just falling into entropy due to old age?

Unknown said...

Laurie, I think old age and a sitting on the edge of the bayou got this building. But Katrina, I am sure, lent a helping hand.

Wanda said...

What a great picture. All the lines, the colors the textures, and then that beautiful Egret!!

Unknown said...

It has been a while since I been a visiting to your blog and as always I do enjoy all of your pictures and the great information you post with most. That Egret sure looks like this would make a nice home for it.

I heard on the News this evenin that New Orleans folks are being ask to pack up and leave due to a tropical storm that is ready to beat you all up.

I am wondering how bad it is and are you going to go to higher ground?

I wish you safe and will keep you in my prayers in hopes that tropical storm do not turn into a hurricain.