Friday, August 29, 2008

Getting ready for a Gustav getaway

Give me a second and I will tell you about Gustav.

That's why I am late posting today. I wanted to run to the grocery store before it got too crazy. The lines were filling up and the clerks were stocking the shelves as fast as they could. The bread man stocking his area of the shelves asked the clerk, "Can I fill up over here too?" She replied "Please do." They both knew that by tonight, the shelves would be looking empty no matter how much you put on them. People are getting ready. They have already suffered the worse and are determine to come out better this time.

The picture above is at Zephyr Field (the local Triple A baseball team) which has become an operation center. As I passed by, several buses were pulling in. I decided to take a look. There appeared to be about 40 to 50 buses in the lot. This picture is the makeshift refueling depot where the buses pulled up to get ready. This is part of the evacuation plan for Gustav, should it be necessary.

If the storm center on the New Orleans area, evacuation will start in earnest about 100 hours before tropical storm force winds are expected at the coast. At this moment that time seems to be sometime tomorrow. But, Gustav so far has refused to follow the predictions very accurately. Darn storm has a mind of his own.

Stay tuned.

Oh, and by the way. The Zephyrs have announced they are playing their came tonight. With fireworks at the end. So, if you have nothing to do....

-- Steve buser

14 comments:

Profile Not Available said...

Great post, Steve! I have been watching the storm from here, wondering. Good Luck

Unknown said...

Hi Steve,
Hope you and your family stay safe. Are you leaving?
My son should be on his way either tonight or early tomorrow. I'm so thankful...I would rather be on the cautious side!
diane

Wanda said...

Oh Steve, I can't imagine living so close to that storm.....Will you be evacuated too.

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and your family and all those in the path of the storm.

LOL:) Wanda

Sharon said...

Hi Steve, I will be thinking about you over the weekend and hoping that all goes well. Phoenix suffered a huge storm last night with hurricane strength winds. That is very unusual. I will be posting some pictures tomorrow. After the pounding we got last night, I have a whole new appreciation for what you go through on a somewhat regular basis. Best of luck!!

Sharon said...

Drive safe on your way out of town. I have a friend who was supposed to fly down there Thursday night for the long weekend. I wonder if he went?

Jon said...

Steve, y'all take care and be safe. I pray New Orleans and our Mississippi Gulf Coast will be spared. Makes me sick to see this storm trying to do a Katrina repeat in this region and how ironic for it to be heading here on the third anniversary of that monster.

Jon at Mississipi Garden

Laurie Allee said...

Oh Steve, thanks for this update. I'm so worried about the storm. Sending good vibes to all y'all in one of my favorite cities in the world.

Keep us posted!!!

Debbie Courson Smith said...

What's your plan Steve?

Petrea Burchard said...

Steve, thanks for the post. I saw your comment on Phoenix Arizona Daily Photo and wanted to check out what you had to say. Let's hope this one won't be a repeat of the last. The world is watching and caring. Like Laurie, I'm sending good vibes (from the same part of the world)! Your southern California vibe quotient is high.

Columbo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Columbo said...

Steve, thanks for the post and update. Scary hurricane, hopefully it will stall and drift west, sparing New Orleans.

The Mulligans
Salem, Oregon

GMG said...

Hi Steve! First of all many thanks for your comment on my post of 08.08.08 at 08h08 at Blogtrotter, now in Kos, Greece! It was great to read you there. Second, sorry for the long delay to come here, but August was a terribly busy month, as everybody else seems to be in vacation…
Anyhow, I found sometime now to land here and enjoy your blog. Great treat! Hope Gustav doesn't hurt New Orleans again; you had already your share with Katrina...
Wish you a safe weekend!

Janet said...

We are praying for the safety of New Orleans and its citizens! Thanks for keeping us up to date on the local scene there.

D said...

Steve, we're watching, waiting, wondering, and most of all praying for the Gulf Coast! Stay safe!