Monday, August 4, 2008

The white of night


White Linen Night brought out the crowds to Julia Street in the Arts District of New Orleans this weekend, and the weather cooperated -- it was a night for anything that wasn't light and built for heat. Even after the event was over the heat index at 10 p.m was 100 degrees.

The event features bands and open house about about 17 local galleries, although galleries on side streets opened to catch some of the crowd.

This event captures the essence of Southern culture.


--steve buser

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pictures...my first time to hear of this event. I think it is hotter there than here...but only by a tenth of a degree. LOL

Anonymous said...

Can't quite tell but were those photographs in the gallery? I like both shots.

Virginia said...

That's a great idea. YOu captured them both very well. I would be all about getting to visit that many galleries on one evening.

Laurie Allee said...

Looks like fun, even in the heat. I love seeing all the straw hats. NOw those are Southern! I remember similar hot, hot, hot summer nights in Texas. You just dress lightly and go on.

Neat shots, Steve.

Sharon said...

This looks like a lot of fun. I'm not sure I could stand the humidity, but I'd give it a try.

Profile Not Available said...

Excellent photos! It does indeed capture something Southern - white linen, steamy summer evening, - sort of Faulkneresque!

Columbo said...

Great event turn out and great shots by you. Looks like a lot of fun.

Wanda said...

You live in a wonderful place to see and hear and feel things don't you?

Great pictures.

Jill said...

I love that first photo of all the white attire and artwork/photos. Hopefully there was some A/C running in those galleries. Wonderful street shot.

raf said...

A hot night for sure, but your images make it definitely look....way cool! Lovely post, Steve.

Greyhound Girl said...

I've never heard of such an event- but oh! I dream to live in a place that would do something so cool as this! Great pictures- love the top one!