Sunday, August 10, 2008

Mr. Friendly

I made a friend. That's always a good thing. Right?

I walked up slowly on the board walk. I took him by surprise and he splashed suddenly into the water. I thought that was the last I would see of him. But, a few seconds later, he swam up into the grasses along the bank just to take a secret peak at me.

Pretending not to notice, I moved closer to him and then started shooting. He sat still, but eventually pushed up further into the grasses to hide a little. Finally, he decided we had known each other long enough that he could push out into the open and get a good look at each other.

He was barely more than a baby (about 3 feet long), but this alligator who frequents the nature trail at the Louisiana Welcome Center on the I-10 is a curious fellow.

I turned to take another shot into the cypress swamp. When I turned around, he was gone. Guess his mother didn't like him playing with people like me.

--steve buser

18 comments:

Eki said...

I like the commentary you wrote about him. The gator sounds friendier it might have just looking at the picture.

PJ said...

I remember walking the Creole Nature Trail and seeing scads of baby alligators on the walkways. They looked like a herd of baby dinosaurs.

Sharon said...

I love your comments about the young gator. It made him sound down right friendly instead of maybe just hungry!

Laurie Allee said...

See ya later, alligator!

Love your commentary, Steve.

Unknown said...

Well, though I'm new here on CDP, I've already learned that your blog is a everyday click for me, because all your photos do really catch my eye! :-)

Greetings

Anonymous said...

Do they eat fingers and toes and ears and noses? You still got them?

He is one cute little guy.

Virginia said...

Can't be a pushover on your first date.

crittoria said...

Making friends with 'gators? Yikes!! I guess the little ones are okay, but I bet he'll be frightening before too long...Great photo opp, though - glad you didn't pass it up!!

Columbo said...

I find alligators fascinating. They have been in the news lately, which just reminds us how dangerous they can be.

Greyhound Girl said...

Your "story telling" is fun to go with such an amazing picture. Which would've left me missing a photo op and running for the hills outta fear!

Unknown said...

That's a great shot Steve! Love your comments and stories too!
diane

Marie said...

The photo is great. Those animals are so strange...

Janet said...

Quite an encounter. He seems rather nice!

Louis la Vache said...

Aw. You were just in the market for a new belt and pair of shoes....

Sara said...

Really cool pic and great site. Always love seeing more blogs from NOLA!

http://newsfromnola.blogspot.com/

photowannabe said...

That staring match would have been interesting to witness. Watch those toes and fingers please. Your alligator kinda looks like what's on my post today. Great shot Steve, and the commentary is really good.

Jules said...

Never smile at a crocodile - no matter how friendly and cute they are!!!!

Anonymous said...

Alligators are so cool from a distance. Not something I will ever see in the wild here in Colorado. great catch.