Thursday, August 28, 2008

The perfect ponder

Okay, sing along with me. "Summer time, and the living is easy... the fish are jumping and the cotton is high..." Keep singing while I write, it helps me get my writing juices flowing. "Your momma's rich, and your daddy's good looking..."

Summer moves along and soon it is gone. Taking time to just sit and ponder it all should be listed as a required summer activity. I guess it is not exciting enough to make a bucket list. I doubt there are a handful of people in the world who write it down on their daily to-do list.

It's not on the top 10 things to do in New Orleans, or any other city's list for that matter.

You know how people see you sitting there lost in revery and come up to ask "Penny for your thoughts?" Hey when I get my thoughts going that well, the bidding needs to start in the high 6 figures -- cashiers check please.

Am I rambling?

There are more than 50,000 images that come up on Flickr.com for the word ponder. Many of them are scenic or eye-candy places. Many people pondering or at least sitting or standing still. But for most of them I just don't get the connection.

Do you suppose the ponder comes from the word "pond?" Someone sitting by the pond might have been said to be "pondering" and that's how the word came up. That's not the derivation the dictionary gives, but that's the theory I am going to go with -- I like it better than "weighing in the mind, and suspending in thought" stuff. Besides, I just made it up so it has to have some merit.

Now, where to find a pond?

I guess it comes down to this -- as with this guy in Audubon Park in New Orleans sitting watching the fountain in the bayou on a warm summer's morn, pondering has its own pace and place. When it comes upon you, the rest can wait.

--steve buser

Oh, you can stop singing now.

26 comments:

angela said...

But do you go out with the intention of pondering? My reflective moments just happen, public transport's a good place or when I walk my dogs...That lake certainly looks like a good place to sit and think, I must admit. I could do some useful thinking there..

Unknown said...

That looks absolutelly magic! What a great photo of a place to sit and ponder!... The bench seems to be in the right position! :-)

Layrayski said...

Wonderful! Just amazing. I absolutely love this!

Fredrik said...

What a lovely scene! Very nice composition and photoshop work.

Wayne said...

Steve, your etymological skills seem a bit creaky (I wanted to say ponderous but I couldn't bring myself to stoop that low) Otherwise a great post.
I can't carry a tune in a bucket so I just hummed along, hope that's ok.

Hilda said...

Oh Steve, this is a beautiful, wonderful photo! I wish I had more time to just sit down and stare at nothing and everything.

And I like your rambling! ;)

Columbo said...

I love you shot at Audubon Park. I sometimes wish I had more time to ponder....Great commentary, I enjoyed.
Our prays will be with you on the hurricane situation. Good luck.

Kate said...

This is a very dreamy and romantic photo. Very cool!

Sharon said...

A perfect song to describe that photo!

Jilly said...

This is almost too perfect! What a scene. And right, we all need to take time to ponder. What did William Henry Davis say ... What is this life is full of care, we have no time to stand and stare. Too damn right.

And it's so easy to get swept up in the business of living, isn't it? rush rush rush. Tell me about it.

Love love love the photo.

Jilly said...

Did the postcard arrive?

Anonymous said...

It may be the perfect pond but I think its the perfect picture.

Knoxville Girl said...

Steve, this is a beautiful shot, very dreamy atmosphere.
I didn't sing along, but trust me, you should be thankful for that.

Federkissen said...

Ths is so idyllically. Right now I would love to sit at this bench.

Victor said...

Steve, your work just makes me happy. Every day. Cheers!

Laurie Allee said...

Porgy and Bess first thing in the morning -- I love it!

This is such a melancholy, happy/sad image for me. I always wonder about the thoughts of people sitting alone pondering (with or without pond) and this image is no exception. Is the man content? Lonely? Working through a problem? Daydreaming about a romance? Maybe I'm just too nosy!

I adore your blog, Steve. Your photographs are superb and your commentary is so wonderful. Thanks for making each day a little better -- and for always giving us something to ponder.

Marie said...

Woow, this is a great post. I did not know you were a poet! In French we have words looking like ponder. For example the verb "pondérer" which means "to balance" or "to qualify."
http://dico.isc.cnrs.fr/dico/tr/chercher_fr?r=pond%E9rer&send=Traduire

Maybe when we are pondering we are putting our thoughts at the right place for our mind to be well balanced...... So, let's ponder more often :-))

Barbara Rahal said...

Beautiful shot Steve!!! looks like you were hiding there though ah hah will pay to see a photo of you taking that shot!

Wanda said...

This is absolutey beautiful....

But every time I hear the word "Ponder" I think back to Scripture that says...Jesus Mother, "pondered" all these things in her heart.

I love the word ponder, and all it represents.

Good Post, Steve...really good.

Profile Not Available said...

EXCELLENT! I love this shot, but I loved reading your post even more! I really need a few hours to just sit and ponder too! I even have a pond...

The Mulligan Family said...

Ah! I feel relaxed just viewing your photo! Fantastic commentary too. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you in NOLA, hoping that Hurricane Gustav goes somewhere else - or better yet just disappears over water.

Louis la Vache said...

"Louis" likes how the tree frames the man on the bench. Very fine composition.

sam said...

This is such a BRILLIANT photo, and great post to ponder on too!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I came to say that the image is just so serene but got caught up in your narrative. Now you have me pondering. Really interesting post.

Jon said...

Steve, thanks for another great photo...perfect composition....I loved how the trees framed the bench and pond.

Hope y'all are spared from Gustav. Too ironic that this one is coming in on the third anniversary of Katrina.
Batten down the hatches and take care. Jon at Mississippi Garden

Lori said...

Oh my gosh, this photo is unreal. (back in my grad-school days, I adored etymology; now I want to check out the OED for "ponder").