Tuesday, August 5, 2008

If it feels good, scratch it.

Sometimes you've got an itch so bad you forget you're having a really bad hair day. Right? This Snowy Egret shows how its knees are build so that it can get its feet and claws up by the neck and face when needed. They spend a lot of time grooming themselves and picking off bugs and clingy things.

This is at the rookery at Audubon Park -- an island in the center of the lagoon that wraps around much of the golf course. It's a little late in the summer so there are fewer nests and herons and egrets at the rookery. Much of the top of the tree has been abandoned for the lower and shadier spots. But there are still some birds making preparations to expand their family. A blue heron kept flying past me the other day with twigs and small branches..

--steve buser

9 comments:

Profile Not Available said...

Excellent shot, Steve. So much detail!

Columbo said...

Good shot, great description.

PJ said...

Nice observation on egret body construction. I love to see these kinds of photos and know that mechanical engineers have been ripping off animals for years. I would hate to see that clss action suit.

Lake Lady said...

I just love all of your nature shots, Steve! Check out my Corsicana Daily Photo post tomorrow....and pick up your Arte y Pico award!

sandy said...

Great photo! I imagine I look somewhat like that when I'm picking off my bugs!

Anonymous said...

Nice photo, Steve.

Abraham Lincoln
—Brookville, Ohio

Anonymous said...

Great shot of a very interesting bird.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

I just love seeing such exotic birds. We just don't have many of those.

Wanda said...

Nothing feels so good as a scratch where it itches!!

Nothing is worse that having one you can't reach!!

Great picture.