Monday, August 11, 2008

Peristyle Pretorian Guard

Do you think he scares anyone away?

This old stone-hearted lion has been standing guard on the Grecian Style Peristyle in City Park for decades. The Peristyle was built in 1907, originally as a dancing pavilion. It is one of several structures in the park that can be rented for special occasions.

This looming lion, defending the majestic ionic columns from fierce creatures as swans, ducks, ibis and egrets, overlooks Bayou Metairie which wends through the park

The pavilion is a favorite place for non-profit events, weddings and the like. Of course, the rise of air conditioning has limited its use.

-steve buser

8 comments:

Greyhound Girl said...

What a great part of a city park! Love it!

And I don't think would scare anyone away as much as your yesterday photo would! :)

photowannabe said...

A great solid guard for the park. He's quite regal.

Laurie Allee said...

What a great sculpture. And look at those columns back there. I love the way so much of New Orleans looks Old World.

He wouldn't scare me away. Nope!

Sara said...

Beautiful! I took my wedding photos there.

Jill said...

What a wonderful structure and sculpture, classic NO. I think he looks like Mufasa though.

Meead said...

HI Steve, thanks for your visit and comment.

Nice photo. We have such lion sculptures in Mashhad and also other citis of Iran. The most famous and most historical of them is Stone Lion in city of Hamedan. Please visit this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamedan_Stone_Lion

Wanda said...

I'm not sure why, but I have always loved lions.

Real or statues..... I love the Lion Aslan in Chro. of Narnia.

Good shot....

Marie Reed said...

I'm a little scared! It's a good thing that the female lions are the hunters! I feel a bit safer:)