Friday, August 8, 2008

Late nester

I guess birds are a lot like people -- everyone finds something that they are really into. This Black-Crowned Night Heron is going back to make another late summer nest. He (she?) kept flying off to some trees behind me and coming back about every five minutes with big branches like this one. I guess one of the advantage of building a nest (again) in late summer is there are more branches laying on the ground.

I have it on my to do list to head back to Audubon Parks' Oschner Island rookery soon to see what the young chicks look like. There should be a lot of food around to feed them.

12 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

I had the pleasure of driving through your lovely state on the way to Oklahoma last week and I loved all of the wonderful sights!! I almost ran off of a few bridges trying to look at everything. We plan to go back for vacation next Summer. What an amazimg place to live!

Virginia said...

Steve,
This shot of the bird in flight with his nest makings is just a great one.

Halcyon said...

Another beautiful bird. I never get tired of them.

Thanks for sharing the photo and the story.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Perspective of scale is interesting to me with this one. We don't have large birds like that we see gathering nesting materials. Ours gathering small twigs and flufff...not big branches!

Anonymous said...

great catch. it looks like a painting.

Laurie Allee said...

Another great capture. I feel uplifted and happy when I see a bird building a nest. It just makes me feel like everything is as it should be.

Jules said...

Great shot Steve - caught him perfectly!!!

Like your new page.

PJ said...

It's a mystery to me how you get everybody to cooperate with you, Steve. How did this bird know we needed to see this?

Anonymous said...

Most birds up here build one nest but then seem to get the urge to build another that is never used. Maybe it has something to do with mating.

Eki said...

perfect shot, Steve!

Greyhound Girl said...

This is just a wonderful picture! Love it! I admire all of your vivid, close up, detailed bird shots!

sandy said...

Wow, lots of new posts to catch up on. I'm going through some of them and really enjoyed your updates.