Thursday, August 7, 2008

The path less taken

Early this week I was driving home from Texas after having slept through Tropical Storm Edouard running its blender over Beaumont. I didn't realize that the back side of the storm was probably the most intense. Deciding that discretion is the better part of valor I pulled over to ride it out at the Louisiana Welcome Center just across the state line.

In between squalls, I decided to see what the the nature board walk there is all about. It wanders through the Black Cypress-Tupelo Gum swamp to a look out over Lake Bienvenue. It's a short, well-maintained board-walk trail packed with lots of eye candy. I was shocked when a small alligator splashed into the water below me. A Great Egret was playing hide and seek with me. There were cypress knees by the hundreds. All kinds of flying things were scooting about.

One of the things that focused by attention was a group of Swamp Lilies. This was the best of the group. You can see the water drops still sitting on the petals from the last squall that past through.

I packed things up as soon as the drizzle stoppped and headed home to New Orleans.

--steve buser

12 comments:

PJ said...

Hubby is from Crowley and we hope to be in Louisiana next week for work related reasons as well as family visits. I love photgraphing nature in Louisiana. So lush.

Profile Not Available said...

Absolutely beautiful, Steve! I am glad you went exploring!

Halcyon said...

These lilies are beautiful! I'm glad you went exploring for all of us.

Anonymous said...

Swamp Lilies are very cool flowers. Nicely captured. Glad you made it thru the storm

Laurie Allee said...

What a nice way to start my morning, Steve. That's a beautiful shot of those dewy lilies, and I love your description of the hike. Remember what Frost said about taking the road not taken... "it has made all the difference."

Anonymous said...

I just see your blog, your beautiful photos, super interesting, very varied and I see that we have one thing in common! love of nature. Friends ...
Excuse my English "The French PassionNature78"

Wanda said...

I think it was great that you took advantage of a bad situation to bring us a lovey picture.

Glad you got home safe and sound.

sandy said...

Besides your photos I like reading your posts.

Anonymous said...

Stunning photography, Steve.

I have been dealing with rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. The chemotherapy drug doesn't stop the pain so it's hard to type very much.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville, Ohio

GMG said...

Hi Steve! 2008.08.08 is a very special day for Blogtrotter. So, before I start commemorating, let me just tell you how much I appreciate your comments on my blogs! Thanks a lot!
So you turned out green? ;))
Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

Louis la Vache said...

That proved to be something of a 'lemons to lemonade' stop on your trip. If the storm hadn't forced you off the road, you wouldn't have gotten this splendid image!

Jilly said...

How fabulous! The more so cos they were a surprise. beautiful.