Thursday, August 14, 2008

Summer Rain

Where are the weathermen ( and weatherladies) when we need them. Yesterday the New Orleans forecasters promised us a nice afternoon as soon as a front moved out into the Gulf. Dry weather, low humidity, more pleasant temperature --- you know all the promises. So at 4:00 p.m. I am standing under a awning in front of a store out in Kenner waiting for the rain to slow down enough that I can run to the car.

The rain on the parking lot had pooled into the middle and was hurling toward the street, trying to pretend it was the Colorado River roaring through the Grand Canyon. It occurred to me that even if it did start raining, I might need boots to wade across this instant river.

It was almost as if the rain was snubbing its nose at the forecasters. "Try to predict this!"

So today I am not going to even watch the forecast. I'll just look out the window. Better odds.

--steve buser

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Steve,
Here's to wishing you some dry weather! I think your rain has moved up this way the last few days. It has been wet here too!
diane

Eki said...

That's a wonderful close up high speed shot, Steve!

I have a picture with the same title, but not the same subject of course ... :D

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Nice to see you found a way to find some beauty in the unexpected.

Halcyon said...

Did you get a ton of rain Monday and Tuesday? It rained almost non-stop here! Yesterday was nice and sunny though (as promised by our local weatherpeople). Hope the sun passes by you today!

Anonymous said...

Rain pretty much does its thing without any help from us. For which I am grateful and thankful.

Columbo said...

Excellant close up shot! I wish we had a little rain out here to cool off. Going to be around 100+ for a few days.
Although New Orleans rain is real rain.

Laurie Allee said...

This shot is almost otherworldly! Beautiful capture, Steve.

Anonymous said...

That is the best picture of a rain drop I have ever seen. Also I take what the weather people say with a grain of salt... LOL.

Sharon said...

At least you got a beautiful picture. We have the same situation here in Phoenix but I always thought it was our weather is so predictable except in monsoon season. When that starts, all bets are off on the predictions.

photowannabe said...

Fantastic macro of the raindrops. Much more beautiful than what was dumping on you. I hope it does get better soon.

Jill said...

Steve, I love your description..the Colorado River! I got quite the visual from that! But then you got this incredible shot.

Louis la Vache said...

Fantastic image, Steve!
Reach around, pat yourself on the back and say "Attaboy!"

Jane Hards Photography said...

That's a magical shot. Perfcetly executed.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is fantastic!!!
Beautiful rain drop!
Greetings