Saturday, August 23, 2008

Water flying (Great Egret -- Ardea alba)

Look up flying in a Thesaurus. You'll find "quick, expeditious, fast, hasty, speedy."

Now look at the real thing. A Great Egret at City Park in New Orleans, pushed his wings out, leaned into what little wind there was and pushed the air back most unhastily. Having caught enough air to keep him suspended above the obscure bayou below, he set his sights on the tree lined shadowy realm on the other side. His silvery phantom sailed beneath the rippled surface as if it were boat of air holding him up into the sky.

Tell me again why flying is a an synonym for fast, hasty and speedy?

I can't hear you.

-- steve buser

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Another fantastic shot!!! The angle of the egret's wings is beautiful and so is the reflection!
Wonderful!!!

Sarabeth said...

That's a fantastic photo.

Sally said...

Just magnificent.

Know what happened 1929 years ago today? What’s the difference between 79AD and 2008? Anything? Sydney Daily Photo

Sharon said...

What a fantastic photo. I love the feeling of movement and the perfect reflection in the water. Just great.

Debbie Courson Smith said...

Well, when I'm in an airplane, I want flying to mean fast and speedy. But certainly, slow and lazy circling is best for birds.

Anonymous said...

That is as pretty as a picture.

I will put the Deer Hunting story on the Brookville Blog for Sunday (or tomorrow). I sometimes wonder if I could still walk through the woods without making a sound.

Victor said...

Wow! The word "majestic" comes to mind...

Jane Hards Photography said...

Perfect. Just beautiful.

Wanda said...

Magnificent indeed! I love the reflection...!

Virginia said...

Beautiful shot today Steve. The curve of his wing is poetry. Gotten any rain from Faye yet? We sure have.

Jill said...

It doesn't get much better than this -- excellent photo.

Anonymous said...

WOW I love this picture. The reflection in the water makes it so perfect.