Friday, August 22, 2008

Stone cities

Above ground burials are common in New Orleans because of the high water table. That has made a special tourist attraction. CitiesOfTheDead.net offers copious details of the many cemetaries where visitors can learn more of New Orleans history and an amazing architecture.

The Brunswig family tomb in Metairie Cemetary is one of those featured on the site: "A splendid example of the Egyptian Style, the Brunswig family tomb is located on what is called 'Millionaire's Row,' right at the center of the old racetrack part of the cemetery."

The site features a page on safety, an important pre-read for visitors. A group tour is an excellent way to visit the cemeteries and learn more of the history and people of New Orleans.

--steve buser

10 comments:

Columbo said...

Nice shot, can't wait til we get downthere for our little visit (Oct). Cemetaries we have never done, only driven by.

Victor said...

Hello again Steve. When I saw the thumbnail for this photo on the Daily Portal, I immediately flashed back to the LSD scene in the film Easy Rider. I'm dating myself aren't I? Anyway, wonderful shot (love that blue sky background) and as always, I appreciate the history lesson. Cheers from BC!

Anonymous said...

I always thought that was whiled how they are buried above ground.

Laurie Allee said...

I was always fascinated by these above-ground burial spots. They are so ornate and imitative of ancient ruins. It's really interesting to walk around and look at them.

Wayne said...

Many years ago, on my first visit, I took a walking tour. One thing I recall vividly was being told by the guide that it was not safe to walk in certain cemeteries.
That may all have changed by now but it's one of those things that stayed with me. I've forgotten just about everything anyone ever told me.
Unlike more typical cemeteries these would provide many hiding places for ne'er-do-wells.

Eki said...

I never knew this kind of thing existed. It's unique, Steve. Do you know any other places that have this kind of thing? Or is it uniquely New Orleans?

Thanks for sharing.

Knoxville Girl said...

I like the photo, Steve - all that brilliant whiteness under a blue sky. Many years ago, I took a tour of St. Louis #1 with the Save Our Cemetaries group - oh dear, I so had a vampire wardrobe going on and a little point-and-shoot with b&w film. Learned lots of history and had a good time taking vampiric snaps. I hope the cemetaries are recovering from Katrina's wrath.

Sharon said...

Last November I went to Buenos Aires and got to tour the Recoleta Cemetery and found it fascinating. I guess I had forgotten that we have some pretty spectacular cemeteries here in the states.

Unknown said...

Nice picture Steve. We haven't ever done a cemetary tour in NOLA. I want to though!

Lynette said...

Yep, this is a very nice shot, so luminous. And it certainly makes one think of "Easy Rider" as Snapper says.